Do you know what the best thing about baked food is beside the awesome taste? Depending on the ingredients you choose, it can help you lose weight. Here are some healthy baked food recipes that you can scarf down without feeling guilty:
1. Baked Chicken Breasts
What you need
- Chicken breasts (4)
- Olive oil (2 teaspoons)
- Paprika (1 teaspoon)
- Dry thyme or oregano (1 teaspoon)
- Brown sugar (1 and a half tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Garlic powder (1/4 teaspoon)
- Parsley (finely chopped).
- Fire up the oven and preheat it at 425°
- Take a small mallet and pound the chicken breasts to the required thinness. You can also use a rolling pin or your fists.
- Mix all of the seasonings in a bowl.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and some foil and place the chicken breasts on the tray upside down. Drizzle some olive oil on top and spread it with your fingers. Sprinkle generously with seasoning on both sides.
- Bake for at least 18 minutes or till the chicken breasts turn a beautiful golden brown color. You can use a meat thermometer to check the doneness as well (the internal temperature of the meat should be 165°F for it to be cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the oven and transfer to a plate. Let it rest for 3 minutes to allow the juices to flow through and serve with chopped parsley on top.
2. Healthy Cream Beef Cake
What you need
- Lean ground beef (at least 1.5 lbs)
- Cauliflower rice (12 ounces)
- Low fat sour cream (1/2 a cup)
- Shredded cottage cheese (1/4th cup)
- Tomato sauce (1 can, sugarless)
- Green onions (half a cup, sliced)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to about 350°
- Spread the cauliflower rice in a baking dish and microwave it till it is cooked through. Make sure it does not overcook or get mushy. Set it aside once done.
- Take a large skillet and cook the ground beef on medium high heat till it turns brown. Drain the excess juices and add tomato sauce as well as salt and pepper as per your preferences.
- Mix the cottage cheese and sour cream in a bowl along with the green onions.
- Mix the cream and cheese mixture into the cauliflower rice and mix.
- Pour half of the beef mixture onto the cauliflower rice and spread it evenly on top with a spoon.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese on top and add the remaining beef mixture on top before adding more cheese on top. You should end with the cheese on top.
- Pop the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350°
3. Dieter-friendly Shepherd’s Pie
What you need
- Ground turkey or beef (1 lb)
- Onion (1, sliced)
- Butter (3 tablespoons)
- Red potatoes (4)
- Frozen peas, carrots and any other vegetables you want (1 cup in total)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole milk (Half a cup)
- Rinse and without peeling, cut up the potatoes into small cubes. Add them to a pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- While the potatoes tenderize, cook the meat and onions in a cast iron skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste while cooking until you are left with 2 tablespoons of juices.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain the water, add 2 tablespoons of the butter as well as milk and start mashing it. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take a large casserole dish and spread the beef mixture, vegetables, and mashed potatoes in it. You can also use 2 separate dishes if you don’t have a large enough dish.
- Run the back of a fork across the mixture to make even ridges.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and drizzle it on top evenly.
- Pop the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 400°F or till the potatoes turn brown.
4. Baked Chicken Fries
What you need
- All purpose flour (1 cup)
- Chicken breasts (3 pounded and sliced into strips)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Garlic powder (1 teaspoon)
- Chili powder (1 teaspoon)
- Pepper powder (Half teaspoon)
- Panko breadcrumbs (2 cups)
- Eggs (2)
- Mayonnaise (1/3 cup)
- Ketchup pr BBQ sauce (1/3 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Grease up a baking sheet with some cooking spray.
- Take a small plastic bag and make a flour mixture by adding flour, garlic powder, pepper, salt and chili powder in it. Shake it to mix.
- Toss the chicken strips in the mixture.
- Whisk eggs with the water in a shallow bowl and dip in the flour coated chicken strips into the mixture.
- Toss the chicken strips in the breadcrumbs before placing them on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake the strips in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes till it turns golden brown and crisps up.
- Make a sauce by mixing the mayo and ketchup/BBQ sauce. Serve with the chicken fries.
It can be tough to maintain a balance between healthy foods and comfort food. With these recipes, you get the best of both worlds.